Friday, March 13, 2009

OATMEAL


WOW my kids are spoiled.
Timing is everything. Today I had a day off from work. I usually look forward to breakfast because I can actually sit down and eat instead of grabbing something on the run or something I can eat at work. So I sit down to eat and my kids inform me that "Mom says we have to eat oatmeal Today." OK I wonder if I can fix theirs and wait for them to leave before I get mine. Nope, I am hungry and so I fix my own and then the joy of oatmeal starts to work it's wonders.
My kids start pulling faces and complaining about the taste. We try different things like sugar and maple syrup to make it more appealing. Karen tells them about her having oatmeal as a kid. I do the same. It does nothing to help the kids, but we discover the joy of parenting and why our parents tell us about their misery.

So I start eating my oatmeal. It really is not all that bad and has very little flavor at all. I down my bowl and go fro a second. During this time Tyler has set his mind to eating and does fine. Tanner is just about talked into it and is trying. Rachel let's emotions get to her and gags on the cereal. Being the sympathetic parent that I am, I laugh (oops my bad). Tanner is triggered by this and starts to bawl and complain that it tastes horrible. We get them settled back down and Tanner attempting again while Rachel stares at her oatmeal and starts to cry. (ATTACK OF THE OOZING OATMEAL - Now there is a great Japanese film idea). This again triggers Tanner and he cries and complains that it hurts his neck. I once again can not handle it and start laughing. I'm sure by this time Karen is wishing I had gone to work. Much easier to deal with just the kids and not me too.
Good news is we forced them to eat it all the while reminding them that kids throughout the world are staving and would love to have their oatmeal (Rachel I'm sure is thinking 'they can have mine'). Life is GREAT!!!!
I come to the computer. Do a google on oatmeal and find the top ten reasons to eat oatmeal. 1-9 all health choice reasons. Number 10 - It taste great . I share that with the whole family and we all laugh. Here's looking forward to tomorrow. Karen says we need to eat oatmeal for a week.

3 comments:

newsinaminute said...

you did a great job being mc for the program sat. way to go
bryan and lynda

Rachel said...

dad you were right i would happily give away the otmeal.

funny funny this allhappened to be on Friday the 13th.

Julie said...

That was a great post Mogie!! You are a funny guy! Eli LOVES oatmeal. Abe likes it...Jax will take one bite and say she isn't hungry and that she can wait till school lunch.