Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Soccer Vacations

Well, President's weekend we spent in St. George at another soccer tournament. For me it was quite different from last time and still a lot of fun. Hopefully those that participated with the team feel the same way.

Monday morning was a MESS. The rain had caused problems with fields and parking and we were right in the middle of it all. Ashley's team had their first game against a very good Rampage team. The ref killed them with one PK and another no call that cost us 2 goals. I was really proud of the girls and how they played. I wish we could have been that consistent the rest of the tournament. If we had we would have had a rematch with them in the championship game. Instead we had several let downs and opportunities to learn. Our last game was a bit disappointing because we lost to a team I think we were much better than. In the second half the girls played pretty good, had great combinations but could not finish. This for a coach is aggravating, but lets me know what I need to work on with them. Besides having fun that is the most important part of tournaments, learning. It really shows what you have to work on. There is no time to mask your problems.

Jessica's team played well through the tournaments with moments of greatness. We had just 1 goal scored on us on 4 games. Unfortunately it was against the team that bumped us out of the medal rounds. The defense was spectacular but the offense was out of sync at times. We will get that tweaked by spring season and be a force to be reckoned with. They are a great group of young ladies that I really enjoy being with. The core of them I have been coaching for 8 years or more. On another post I will share a funny story about one of them during our last game.

Our family not only enjoyed lots of soccer but also Valentines and delivering them to the team(we love the doorbell ditch stuff). We had a great time going to church with team mates, visiting the temple and going on hike to pioneer park, Snow Park and Zions. Evenings were fun visiting with friends, eating pizza, swimming in the pool and playing card games. It is great for me especially so I can see a different side of people beside the soccer field and actually get a change to meet the parents. Half of them I really do not know, I just know their daughters. Going out for Ice cream was great too, but then again, when is ice cream not great?

We also celebrated Tyler's B-day. I think most kids would hate sharing their b-day with a soccer tournament, but Tyler seems to be in heaven near the field with a ball at his feet. He is very talented(especially left footed) and has the potential to be a very balanced player. Several soccer people have commented to me how he is not just skilled but is a great thinker on the field. I think that will make him a special player.

I will post soon with some pics and some funny stories from St.George

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's the pix and stories from st. george?

Gary