Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bishop's Questions

Last Sunday (Mother's Day) our bishop asked a question. What has your mother's given you? So on Mother's day I told my kids a couple of things that I would like to share here also. But as I stumbled across some music, I could not help but realize my mom taught me about music too. My Mom played music around the house a lot. I get asked, "What genre of music do you like?" I have no idea. In fact often I can not tell you what genre it is. I like good melody with interesting lyrics. Here today are some of the good ones my Mom shared with me. (Al Jolson, Eddie Arnold, Mills Brothers, Burle Ives, Marty Robbins, Tex Ritter, Dorris Day, Ames Brothers, Patsy Cline, just to name a few. I should have gotten some of the Glenn Miller Orchestra and big band stuff too.) My mom has given me an appreciation of music.

Around our house I have a reputation. I can get a lot done in a lot less time than most. I organize my tasks and put my nose to the grindstone. Most of the time I enjoy doing it. I definitely enjoy see the fruits of the labor. I get this from My Mom. She loved working in the yard. I Love working in the yard. My mom has given me the joy that comes from working hard and enjoying a task well done.

There is great satisfaction in yard work. I wish I had more time for it because I am often behind schedule with that. Even that is a lesson I learned from my mom. I am behind schedule mostly because of soccer. I coach my kids and go to as many games as possible. She taught that the chores can wait but the kids won't. My Mom gave me the joy of life found in the family.

Last but definitely NOT least. My Mom gave me comfort. I told my kids about two occasions. One when I was "lost" at the four diamonds ball park and the time in 4th grade when I came home to an empty house. Those were not comforting moments, but made me realize how much my mother had done (that I took for granted) that gave me comfort. Also, comfort when you are sick. There are days now as an adult I would like to take a sick day just to be pampered by my mom. She not only took care of you, but made everyone else in the family take care of you too. This not only gave us comfort, but also taught us the joy of serving others in our family.

My Mom is GREAT!!!! Thanks Mom!!

1 comment:

newsinaminute said...

loved that ode to your mother and what she gave you--I've met your mom and I say amen--to what a sweetheart she is--it was fun to learn some new things about her--
I also made a post about our(bryan and my ) mom's and dad's --(I wish I would have read yours first and followed your theme of what they 'gave us" )might go back in and change it with your format if that is okay--cause I enjoyed reading yours so much--take care
thanks for sharing--ps also enjoyed the updated music on your blog--el pasco is one john lund used to sing with his guitar --when he was first courting bonnie and so I remember that one well
as I was so impressionable at age 6
when they were dating