Monday, January 25, 2010

Well, this entry will also be posted as a blog entry. My first entry of the new year was not viewed (or least commented on) by anyone for several weeks. My thought was, well you know now that you are your only audience. Just keep it in a journal and then someday maybe your kids will be part of the audience also. Then “newsinaminute” went and made a comment. I told her she made me feel guilty that I had not posted my other entries. I still think that most of the time will be just to the journal but some will get posted to the blog also.. Today’s is a political comment that I think is good for people to think about so…. To the blog also.
Interestingly enough I ran into a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. this week. It also was Martin Luther king day this past Monday. Jessica’s choir participated in a program to honor the man and his ideals that day. I really enjoyed the program except for a comment that the MC made during the program. She used it to push her political view point. Now I have no problem with people having a different point of view than me, but that was not the time or place to do it. That is what bothered me the most. Next she used Mr. King and said it was his opinion that everyone should have free health care. I thought, “really? I don’t recall him saying that, In fact it does not even match the principal that he was talking about.” In listening to his speech he talked about men being created equal and that they needed to be given equal opportunities, not equal quantities, or positions. This seems to be the feeling now a day that we need to make people equal. It is not equal to were we end, but potential and our ability to travel in the journey. “ I watch the old black and white newsreal of the march that he lead when he delivered his “I have a dream speech”. He and the people he walked with looked like hard working individuals who wanted a chance to make the most of their lives, Not people who wanted the most of the their lives handed to them. Just the chance to do things for themselves and reap the rewards of their own work. That is why I wanted to share this quote:

“If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as MIchelangelo painted, of Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.”

Kind of like the advise that the Genie gave Alladin. “Bee yourself” and “Bee your best” Or President Hinkley’s Beattitudes. It does not matter who says it. Great truths are just as valuable no matter how you say them.

1 comment:

newsinaminute said...

point well expressed and point well taken--