Wednesday, January 19, 2011

And Such Like

That is a favorite saying of my boss(Tim Daffern). I don't think he even realizes how much he says it. Then again, I don't think he realizes how much he has influenced my life. He is a great guy. I have been going thru an evaluation time lately. You see, Tim has cancer. About 9 months ago Tim was having some stomache problems. He was diagnossed with Pancriatic Cancer. His chances were not good. Becasue of our relationship, we had shared spiritual experiences long before this moment and they allowed us to have some great conversations at that time.

Tim and I like to joke (sometimes in ways that can seem morbid). We both have a great vision of life and it's purpose. We know and trust the plan of Salvation. We know heavenly father has a puropose in everything He is doing and trust Him. Because of that, Tim has spoken very openly about death and how much time he had left. It freaked a lot of people out and created a release for myself and Tim.

Several months later Tim got word that the Kimo and radiation were goign well and his percentage of survival was going up. He had a chance to beat it or at least live 5-10 more years. That was great news.

At the beginning of this year Tim had some more severe pains and problems and went to the Hospital. It was discovered that the cancer ahd regrouped and was attacking in Full strength. Tim's days are numbered. In fact last week we thought we lost him. I was very grateful he pulled out and I got another chance to see him.

He is in the office today. I just visited most of his day away with him just now. Again we had an open disusion of things/worries that he is concerned with. The funny/nice thing is, it is not about death. It is about taking care of things he needs to do to make sure his family will be fine after he goes. Also, how he is excited to see his Dad and Brother again and how his Mom (age 86) thinks it's not fair that Tim gets to go first.

I told him of several discusions I have had with co-workers who "need" to understand how Tim can be reacting the way he has. It has created oportunities for me to share the gospel with them. As Tim said today, we are all pawns in the Lord's great work. Sometimes the things that happen to us are not for us, but for others around us to learn. I think that is definately part of what is going on with Tim.

Anyway over the past few weeks(months) I have been thinking about how much I owe Tim. He was assigned as my trainer at the tax commission. I am very grateful. Because of his training I advanced quickly at tax and recieved good job opportunities there. It was also Tim that brought me to WCF. I have had a great job working here that has enable me to do many things with a very flexible schedule and a good pay rate. I also like the people I am around. More than that I have developed a friendship with Tim that will last well beyond my time here on earth and gained a greater testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Any friend who can help you do that, is a really good friend. Thanks Tim!!!!

1 comment:

Jennica said...

I really liked this tribute to your friend Tim. I am sorry about his cancer. We are dealing with that with a really close friend too. I don't like cancer.