Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My new Career

Well, as mentioned in the previous post I became a Crimson Club member and a Utah Football season ticket holder. I did this because several years ago I missed the BYU-Utah Football game. The only one (besides my mission) that I can remember missing. The cheapest ticket I could get was $100. I did not want to go alone and so even if I just took one kid it was $200 and then the question, which kid do I take. Well I chose to watch at home. It ended up being the Beck to Harlene in the end zone year. It will go down in history and I missed it. So in an attempt to not have that happen again I purchased Season tickets for $115 2 years later. Then this year went to do the same thing. The Utes have actually built a football program and there is more of a demand on tickets. Taking advantage of it, the Utes raised their prices a bit and encouraged people to join the crimson club for priority on tickets. I did and was grateful, because an actual Ute fan at work did not join and could not get tickets. That in and of itself made me laugh. He did come and offer to buy some of my tickets from me, knowing I would not want to go to all of them. The thing is he wanted 3 games in particular: Oregon St, TCU and BYU. Those were all the money makers for me plus the BYU game was the reason I purchased in the first place. As It turns out as a crimson club member I was able to purchase additional tickets to those games at a slightly higher price so I was able to help him.

As the season progressed it became quite the adventure. The home opener was Oregon St and I moved to make some of my money back. I had planned how much I needed for each ticket to cover all my cost including my crimson club fees. I figured I would not get it all on each game but would reduce my costs greatly. As it turns out the demand for Oregon was a bit better than expected and I got an additional 15 per ticket than what I planned. They ended up winning and climbed in the polls. The frenzy had started.

The next few weeks the Utes played the weak part of their schedule and continued to win, climbing higher and higher in the polls. So did TCU which looked to be the Big game of the year. Each game I ended getting a bit more than I needed and it looked like I could use the TCU game as mere profit and be going to the BYU game for free. A couple weeks before the TCU game I posted my tickets for 150 each. I Had a couple people call and offer me half price. I waited it out feeling comfortable that if nothing else some TCU fan coming in from Texas would pay the price. Instead the Utes and TCU both won over the weekend and I ended up selling the tickets for 175. The first lady who called and offered half, called me back and wanted the tickets at full price. She needed to get 30 for a business group. I no longer had the tickets but referred her to a friend who had some and sold 6 of his for 200 each. She actually thanked me and asked about the BYU game. Ouch - the dilemma. Well I calculated what it was worth to me to miss it. I sold my 12 tickets to the game for 175 each and made plans to take the family to Disneyland. I can really say now that I like the Utes. Especially when they pay for my family to go to Disneyland. :)

All of this was done before the TCU game. As it turned out the Utes got racked. They were behind 40-0 before anyone knew what had happened. I felt really bad for my Utah friends and then thought of the poor people who had paid big bucks to see their team get murdered. All of a sudden my trip to Disney looked even better. The entire trip when ever we would do something I told my kids to thank some poor ute fan. Again we laughed. Any way, I was so good at reading the market that Karen decided it should be my part time job. We will have to look into it. If nothing else it was very entertaining and profitable for one season.

1 comment:

newsinaminute said...

bryan and I just posting a comment as to say--we appreciate your thoughts in life and on your blog
thanks for the testimony that you shared on fast Sunday in July
thanks also for the help with lending us the gas cans...